Friday, April 11, 2008

Not again

I really enjoy what I do. I really do. It's not often that you get to do the work that you want to do. Some people just do the work that they should do or capable of doing. I am lucky I get to do the work that I want to and enjoy it.

Lately though it seems that I have been getting aggravated pretty easily. I know that is just because of stupidity, not on my part, but stupidity none the less. I don't like doing work twice, I don't doing unnecessary work, and I(or the crew I work on) don't like being blamed for the mistakes of others.

Here is the deal... we have to dig the ditches that we put the conduit in. We then have to put in the conduit, and then cover the conduit with sand, then dirt half way up, tamp it solid, lay down some marker, then fill it to the top and tamp it again. ( I made it sound like it doesn't take a long time, but this is a three day process)

We have cost codes for the work that we do. All time is written off onto a certain code depending on the work, but we have no codes for digging ditches and covering ditches. These are 70% of the project. So by code time we are behind and they are getting on us....I don't like it.

I operate the backhoe, just because I know how. I am not an operator, I'm an electrician. they can't expect the same things out of us on the equipment as a person who that is all they do. You can't expect 70% of the job to get done without the time going somewhere. You can't get onto me for your mistake of telling me to dig in the wrong spot. If I mess up that fine, but you messed up then I don't want to take the blame.


Am I wrong with this too?????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I understand your frustration. I always hated re-do. But, I never could understand why. The re-do always paid the same as the first run, sometimes more because it was overtime. The good thing about being an indian and not being a chief was that I just did my best at what I was told to do and let the chiefs worry about the cost.

If I were in your boots, I would just be glad to be learning about operating a backhoe and being an electrician. If you do your best and you get run off... well, you were looking for a job when you found that one. Try to not let your P-Oed attitude show because it is contagious and it is circular too. If everyone is P-Oed it is even more irritating.

Anonymous said...

You've got some smart parents.